Monday, June 29, 2009

My Favourite Poet!

When I looked up Poets.org, one name caught my eye. He is the author of my favourite poem. That's right, my favourite poet is Shel Silverstein.

Why? Because he is able to use all elements of the human feelings, like laughter, humour, sadness, grief, etc. to write his poems. Therefore, he has no fixed theme in his poems and the poems published today may be entirely different from that published the next day.

He is also amazing in the fact that he is able to understand and write humorous poems. Humorous poems are incredibly difficult to write( well, that is, for me). Based on the poems found in http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/ I found that the other authors had difficulties when writing the humorous poems and the final product would then have no humour factor at all. The fact that Shel Silverstein could write "Messy Room" was the testament that he was an accomplished poet.

He also compiled poems and put them into books. For example, "Runny Rabbit" was a poetry collection of spoonerisms that were completed before his death. Interestingly, he also illustrated his own books.

His three most popular poems are Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic and Falling Up.

Sadly, the poet passed away in May 1999.

2 comments: