Monday, June 8, 2009

I rather be the city rat than the country rat.

City rat? Or country rat? When I first thought of this, I immediately thought that, of course, being a city rat was better. After all, I'm a "city rat". But, after careful observation, I summarised the different advantages and disadvantages in being the city or country rat.
City rat~ In the city, technology is more advanced, and getting from place to place is much easier as there are many more forms of transport than in the country. Also, there are many more forms of entertainment in the city. There are better job prospects in the city whereas the country has a limited amount of jobs. However, it is really very busy everyday in the city and many things have to be done. There is little time to really enjoy life as it is as you are so busy everyday. You must constantly improve yourself to keep up with the always-improving and very competitive community, therefore leaving very little time to your family.
Country Rat~There is a lot of leisure time in life as a country rat. You have a stable job, as long as your health does not deteriorate. There is no time spent in trying ever so hard to improve yourself and therefore, a lot of time is spent with family, thus strengthening family and relationship bonds. However, there is little variety of entertainment. Since there is a lot of time, many games are invented, but only if you have the inspiration. Technology is not very advanced-- the most commonly used form of transport is by foot or bicycles. Cars are useless as petrol kiosks are miles away, driving your car to and fro will only result in your tank of fuel becoming empty again.

So! These are the summaries of the city and country rats respectively. Not, very short, but at least you get the idea, right. After a very long period of thinking (4 days from the previous post), I finally made up my mind. If given the choice, I would choose to be the city rat.
Why? Because nature always changes, being in the city enables me to be able to realise change in the fact that everybody must improve and change to keep up. Although I have little time for my family, cherishing the short moments that the family have should be all that is needed to strengthen the family bonds. I also like being busy, it takes my mind off the everyday difficulties.

What about you? Which would you be? City rat? Or country rat? Please comment.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice post. Although it is very long, lots of points there, and you expressed them nicely. Very good. And that question you ask, my answer is :"I am not a rat!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it is me, i prefer both to choose either one. This is because I will benefit both, city and country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good elaboration! You have summarized both the pros and cons of living in the city and country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely explained. Not at all confused by your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both your points were explained in great details. Well done!

    Lim Chia Wei (14)
    Class: 1A2

    ReplyDelete