Thursday, June 11, 2009

The book that made an impact on my parents' lives

The book that made an impact on my parents' lives is "Thick face, Black Heart" by Chin-Ning Chu. The title may sound a bit illegal and very suggestive, but it is not a book teaching you to kill people or not care about anything.
Well, this book teaches you how you should make sacrifices that are needed for the greater good and how to not care about others' opinion of you.
I have read the book, and, in essence, black heart talks about being able to make sacrifices and take risks without brooding about the risks or sacrifices. Thick face means that you don't care about what opinions others have of you.
How did my parents apply it? Well, it was actually their friend who applied it. They told their friend of the book and started elaborating on it. Before that, their friend was a chronic loser in the stock market. He just couldn't bear to get less profits and always held onto the stocks until they dropped out of the bottom because that was what he learnt in school--buy at the lowest point, sell at the highest point. Then, he applied Thick face, Black heart and started to care less about the profits he made, as ong as he earned money. He is now a brilliant investor and has made so much money that he could retire almost 5 years prematurely.
My parents recently also started to invest. However, they didn't invest in the stock market as they thought it was very dangerous. I'm not sure what they invested in, but they surely had more "pocket money" now!
"Thick face, Black Heart" thus made an impact on my parents' lives by teaching them what would never be thought in school.

3 comments:

  1. It seems to be an interesting book. I look forward to reading that book but it depends whether i can find that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so this is a interesting book. But I doesn't like to read book, but I like this book. I will look forward to it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice explanation on how the book made the impact in your parents' lives.

    Lim Chia Wei (14)
    Class: 1A2

    ReplyDelete