Monday, March 1, 2010

Multiple Intelligences Intrapersonal Question (a)

I think I would like to be friends with Atticus, one of the protagonists of the book, To Kill A Mockingbird. This is because he is kind, brave, respects all and does not discriminate against others, is non-judgemental and moreover, is good-natured and does not lose his temper easily.
I think that one of the main points I want to be friends with him is because of his bravery. In the book, there is no show of bravado from him, but rather bravery. This is because he stands up for Tom Robinson, knowing that he is right even though it is against the public view in Maycombe. However, even under this pressure, he does not falter in fighting the court case for Tom Robinson but rather works harder as he goes to the jail in Maycombe to look after Tom Robinson and console him somewhat in the night. I would like to befriend Atticus because I admire this point about him and I would like to learn more about this.
Another main point of being friends with Atticus is that he does not discriminate against anyone, respects all who are around him and is non-judgemental. He fought the Tom Robinson court case in spite of Tom Robinson being a black, showing that Atticus does not discriminate even people who are lower than him. He is also non-judgemental as he is able to see everything from both points of view and therefore is somewhat in the "neutral" or middle ground of matters. He also displays his trait of being able to respect all the people around him in the book. When Mrs Dubose insulted and humiliated him in front of his children , Atticus could still admire and respect Mrs Dubose for dying beholden to nothing or nobody. I think that I lack in these virtues and mindset therefore I want to befriend Atticus as I will have more virtues and be able to make other friends because I am able to view everyone possibility.
The third, and most important point of being friends with Atticus is that he does not lose his temper easily. He is able to explain calmly to his children about certain sensitive matters without blowing his top or acting rashly like most adults might do in face of these kinds of situations. I therefore admire him as he displays this trait and therefore would like to be his friend as I would, through frequent friendly conversations, somewhat be able to "pick up" this virtue and stay calm in all situations.
Hence, I would like to be Atticus' friend because I admire him for the many positive traits that he posseses.

No comments:

Post a Comment